Thursday, September 21, 2006

I'm slowly realising how much freedom I have. Today we went to the library, for their "Tiny Tots" reading time. Ellie really enjoyed seeing all the other babies. She crawled up to a few and introduced herself. She's very social.

Most of the children there were older, probably 2-3; they were following along in the story, and doing the actions for all the songs. I hope Ellie can do the same when she's older. My dreams for her have become quite modest.

Afterwards we went to do some shopping. On the way out we came across a juggling show in the mall. It was nice to be able to stop and watch it, and not feel pressured to run off and do other things. I really like juggling, and Ellie liked the crowds. I'm going to teach her how to juggle when she's older. Juggling is a good metaphor for all sorts of learning; most people can learn, and it rewards practice. New tricks are learnt by breaking them down into smaller parts, and through more practice, practice, practice. It's a good lesson for most other learning. There's a lovely 2 frame cartoon; the frame labelled beginning juggler is looking at 3 balls on the ground, the frame labelled advanced juggler is looking at 5 balls on the ground.

We took the bus home and I set about putting Ellie to sleep for her morning nap (now 1 1/2 hrs late). She wriggled on to the floor and looked at books, and I fell asleep in the rocking chair. I dozed lightly, and she happily played with her toys on the floor. Woke up after an hour to my now mildly whinging baby who wanted to be picked up. Bounced her for two minutes, her eyes rolled back in her head and she conked. My time now-- and the house is pretty clean so I can just enjoy myself. Some days feel really easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home